Looking for a laptop that can replace your desktop? There are a lot of other things to take care while buying the desktop replacement laptops.
In this article you’ll find a complete guide on how to pick the best laptop that replaces your work or home desktop, along with a list of the best desktops replacement laptops for this year.
Why replace your desktop?
The availability of computers is significant in the lives of many people because they do not use it for personal purposes alone but it also plays an important role to businesses. They make it easier for employees to do their workloads thus saving them time and effort.
Unfortunately, you cannot always bring your computer with you because of its size. This is when you have to consider purchasing a laptop.
You have to look for the best desktop replacement laptops because these devices can work as efficient as your computers at home. So if ever that you don’t have any idea what to buy, listed below are some of the best laptops that you can use as a replacement for a desktop.
How to choose the best desktop replacement laptop
- Performance: Key here is to find a good replacement laptop for a strong processor. You could see it as the CEO of the computer. Even if you are on a budget, don’t cut down on the pennies when you are about pick processor. The laptop processor is the brain and you must choose the right one for your needs.
- Design: Think about it, you will go from a desktop computer, normally not something you show off to other people, but with a laptop you may start to carry it around with you to different places and now you start thinking that design is something relevant to consider. When you want a desktop replacement laptop, you need to choose a notebook that is well built and has a good cooling design so you can work for hours without risk of overheating.
- Screen: As you go from a desktop computer with a separate monitor often ranging between 19-24 inches in size, you will find yourself comfartable with a laptop with bigger screen than normal. Not only because bigger is better, you would like to still have the working area as you where used to. Even if the most laptops today wont go above 17 inches, you still need to keep in mind that screen size and pixels are important here. Important to mention that batter life could be heavily increased based on the size of the screen. Only you know what to have in the end. Write down your prioritize and make a conscious decision based on that. Good luck!
Upgradeable Laptop: You need a laptop which you can upgrade. At least memory and storage upgradable. A desktop replacement laptop should be a long time investment so you need to buy a product that is easy to disassemble – for cleaning and upgrading parts.
Top 5 Best Desktop Replacement Laptops
1.HP Envy 17.3 inch – Best Overall Desktop Replacement Laptop
A laptop well built which combines performance, design and price in one best-buy for now.
HP Envy 17 is a 17.3-inch laptop with Full HD IPS touch screen. You can use it as a standard desktop or, if you’re into graphic, you can use it as a large tablet. The touchscreen responds fast and precise and the viewing angles are great.
This desktop replacement laptop is a powerful machine for projects, games or graphic design. It comes with Intel I7 7500U processor which combines power with low power consumption. This is not an important criteria when using it as a desktop still it helps by generating very little heat, so your laptop will stay cool.
Hp Envy has 16GB DDR4 Ram and 512 SSD storage – as you know SSD is the fastest storage available for desktops and laptops.
For video, Hp Envy comes with an Nvidia GeForce 940MX graphic card which is not a top notch video card but not a bad one. This configuration is enough for every Windows app – from Autocad to Photoshop, from Excel to gaming.
Also we need to mention that Hp Envy 17.3 comes with an illuminated keyboard, perfect for work at night
Hp Envy 17.3 is absolutely one of the best choices you have when searching for the best desktop replacement laptops.
- Comes with a big IPS Touch Screen display, great for graphics.
- It has a good configuration for most users.
- Fast boot time for Windows – as it comes with an SSD.
- Illuminated keyboard for easy typing on low light conditions.
- Windows 10 preinstalled, so you may start working as soon as you buy this desktop replacement laptop.
- The CPU could have been more powerfull – maybe I7 6700HQ would have been a better choice.
- Not so good touchpad – you better use a wireless mouse for precision working.
2. ASUS ROG STRIX GL703VD
Built as a gaming laptop, Asus Rog is also a good choice when you need a desktop replacement laptop. Why? Being a gaming laptop means it has a high-end configuration, robust build and great cooling.
The full HD IPS display has nice viewing angles and great colors. Asus ROG is known for it’s high quality screens and this model is no different.
GL703VD has the 6th generation Intel Core i7 quad-core for its processor. It’s an HQ processor running at 3.8 Ghz which means great power for complicated tasks. Intel I7 7700HQ can be used for Photoshop, Autocad, Power Point and also for gaming.
For storage this laptop comes with 1 TB hybrid drive which boots the preinstalled Windows 10 OS very fast and has enough space to keep all your documents or media files. As for RAM, Asus ROG Strix takes advantage of 16 GB DDR4 memory – enough for most resource consuming software on the market.
As for graphics, Asus ROG Strix has one of the best video cards available for laptops – Nvidia GTX 1050 with 4Gb VRAM.
- Fast processor and enough Ram memory for higs-demanding programs.
- IPS display with a high sRGB percentage and good viewing angles.
- Powerfull graphic card
- Ergonomic keyboard for working more hours.
- Robust design and great cooling design.
- Not so good battery life if you need a portable device.
- A little noisy when using the full power of this laptop.
3. Alienware AW17R3-4175SLV
Alienware 17 is thin and light making it easier for users to carry it anywhere they go. It has an impressive screen, durable, and with a copper heat sink that works in cooling the device. It also plays video smoothly with its Killer Wireless 802.11ac WiFi and Killer Gigabit Ethernet. No wonder why it is one of the Best Desktop Replacement Laptops in the market these days.
This laptop’s performance comes from an I7-6700HQ processor which has enough power to run fast any piece of software. While not as fast as I7 7700HQ, this earlier processor is one of the best choices for a powerful laptop.
No compromises for RAM and storage – 1 Tb HDD, 256 Gb SSD (for fast booting Windows and most used programs) and 16 GB of fast DDR4 Ram. As for video, Alienware chose a great graphic card- Nvidia GTX970M or the newer GTX980M.
This configuration is great for using Alienware laptop as a desktop without loosing any performance. This laptop runs Photoshop, Autocad, Office, Cyberlink Video editor and other programs just like your desktop.
Alienware AW17R3-4175SLV has great cooling and a robust keyboard – we are talking about a laptop built for gaming. So, we have a reliable piece of machine which can be a great workstation that fits your needs.
- Robust and ergonomic keyboard and touchpad.
- Clean and modern design.
- Low temperature will be maintained with its copper heat sink.
- Fast booting operating sistem and powerful processor.
- 17,3 inch display with good viewing angles and good brightness.
- The laptop is heavy and large.
- Video card is not topnotch.
- More expensive.
- The battery life is not that long.
4. Acer Aspire V Nitro 17
Acer Aspire V Nitro is another best desktop replacement laptop. The IPS display is 17.3 inches and is made up of a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
It’s equipped with a 7th-gen Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor that overclocks up to 3.8GHz of speeds and has 16GB of DDR4 RAM that gives the processor enough temp space to run even the most resource hungry piece of software. For storage, this laptop has a builtin 1TB HDD and a 256 Gb SSD as we seen on the other high-end laptops presented in this article.
As for video, Acer Aspire V Nitro is equipped with Nvidia GTX1060 video card ( 6 GB VRAM memory) – one of the best video cards available on the market.
One feature that sets this laptop apart it’s the quality of sound. Acer Aspire installed two quality speakers with Dolby Audio and Acer True Harmony Plus – if you like music than this is the laptop you need.
- One of the best processor and video card available for hig-end laptops.
- It has a smooth and sleek design.
- Great sound coming from quality builtin speakers.
- It comes with HDD and SSD combining speed and great storage.
- It is bulky and thick.
- The built in cooler is noisy.
- The hard-disk is not so fast at 5400 RPM.
5. Lenovo Built Business Laptop PC 17.3″
Lenovo Ideapad found the perfect mix for most users – great power, great price, great battery life. Ofcourse, we could not miss this laptop that could easily replace your old desktop.
While the resolution is only 1600 x 1200 px , this laptop has a decent screen with good brightness and anti-glare technology.
It’s powered by a 7th-generation Intel Core i5-7200U processor along with 12GB DDR4 memory, which lets you multitask to your heart’s desire. For storage, Lenovo chose an 1Tb HDD which has enough space for your document but lacks the speed of a SSD.
This is the best choice for connecting other device to laptop. It has: a HDMI video-out, two Type-A USB 3.0 ports, a headphone/microphone combo jack, a Type-C USB 3.0 port, as well as a four-format flash-card reader
- Cheap but with enough performance for average user – half price comparing with the other models presented in the article.
- You can easily connect other devices because of having plenty of ports.
- HD display with Anti Glare Technology
- Maintains coolness even when used for multitasks.
- Great battery life – up to 6 hours.
- This is not a high-end laptop so the performance is mediocre. Not good for video and photo editing.
- No SSD for fast booting.
There are indeed plenty of laptops available in the market these days because of the increasing demand.
By purchasing one of the Best Desktop Replacement Laptops, no need for you to think of bringing your computer with you. You can work anywhere and play games anytime because these laptops are capable of handling multiple tasks.